Sunday, September 13, 2015

Enough...Already

It's time to say goodbye.  It's been wonderful writing largely for myself, my two dogs and the two remaining readers I know about.  I won't take the blog down because, who knows, I might have something I absolutely, positively have to get off my chest some day, but as this dismal season winds down my already flagging enthusiasm hangs there limply with nary a breeze to whip it up.

With Jimmy, Chase and Cole gone there really isn't anyone to write about any longer.  Ryan Howard sailed over the edge of the earth a few years ago.  With Rube gone now there's no one to complain about unless I wanted to waste my time on the likes of Dom Brown.

The Phils resisted rebuilding too long and now they've done such a complete dismantling of the franchise on and off the field there isn't going to be much to get excited (or over-excited) about for years to come.

I think I'll root for the Albuquerque Isotopes for a while.


4 comments:

Aaron J Warren said...

keep writing about the fightin's tom. i've grown to love your style and perspective over the years.

Aaron J Warren said...

Also, I think with some creative out of the box roster maneuvers, the Phillies could contend as early as next year. Build a shut-down bullpen, play some
Billy ball alla platoons and utility guys moving all over the diamond and McPhail absolutely has to take as shot at the international free agent market It's quite simply a lottery ticket, but the winner's have won pretty big in recent years - Yoenis Cespedes, Jean Abreu and Jun Ho Kang of the Pirates are all solid roster blocks.

Ken Giles, Aaron Nola, Jared Eikhoff, Maikel Franco, Rupp, Herrara and Crawford (who looks like he should be ready mid to late may next year) are young and talented. Aaron Altherr is an interesting option, and Andres Blanco, and Jeff Francoer are solid bench players.

The team is still a few years from championship caliber, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Phils made a run at 84 or 85 wins next year. The roster isn't that far gone and the farm system is stocked again.

Tom Goodman said...

Wow, Aaron, I didn't know you were out there! I think we can safely mark you down as an optimist. Thanks for writing.

Aaron J Warren said...

i don't think i'm thaaaat optimistic. we all remember what chase and jimmy and ryan looked like when they were establishing themselves. franco, o-dub, and nola all have that same shine.

btw, this has been a bit of a whirlwhind off-season, what are thoughts on the team now. what do you think of the rule 5 guy, and borgois, the morton and hellickson moves. hell, what did you think about the giles trade.

JESUS!

this klentac kid doesn't mess around.