Monday, March 06, 2006

One for the Ages

[Editor’s note:  My little digressions into other sports will not stay me from my appointed rounds or focus.  That said, with apologies to Tom Goyne of Balls, Sticks & Stuff and George S., I offer the following:]

Let’s face it, there are champions and then there is Tiger Woods.
Tiger’s one-shot win at Doral yesterday was his fourth victory in his last six starts, one of which he withdrew from with the flu.  According to ESPN, the win was [Tiger’s] 48th career victory, and it enhanced his reputation as the best closer in golf. Woods now is 34-3 when he has at least a share of the 54-hole lead on the PGA Tour, and he has never lost in 20 tries when leading by at least two going into the last round.

When considering individual sports, Tiger is in a league of his own.   There are simply a lot more good and great golfers challenging Tiger for supremacy every time out than there are, say, tennis players challenging the top players in their sport.

We are witnessing one of the all-time greats.

1 comment:

Tom Goodman said...

Great point. I do it myself. Even the red shirt tradition sets him apart.