Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Lack of Class

Until yesterday I was frankly sick and tired of hearing how tough Philadelphia sports fans were, but the booing of Bobby Abreu and Mike Lieberthal during the pre-game introductions changed my mind.  It was inexcusable and contemptible.  

Last year many fans booed Placido Polanco during the introductions for having the temerity to want to keep his job at second base.   Polanco earned the right to start on merit, but even had he been a shade behind Chase Utley at that point, manager Charlie Manuel remained firmly committed to the principle that veteran starters didn’t lose their spot in the lineup because of injury or fan pressure.

Phillies fans could learn something from Manuel.  Their lack of loyalty to Abreu, one of the best hitters in baseball over the last several years, and to Lieberthal, whose career numbers put him among the club leaders not only for his position but overall, is one thing; their utter lack of class is something altogether different.

5 comments:

Tom Goodman said...

You make a very good point. They play to themselves.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty much with you, Tom. I like to do my fair share of booing, but at people who deserve it. Opening day and people were booing before there was even a pitch thrown. Weak.

I left this comment over at Blinq:

I like to consider my self somewhere in the middle between the two extremes: the Abreu/Lieberthal bashers who were booing before the first pitch of the year and the Phillies apologists/loyalists.

That being said, there were some moron fans sitting directly behind me yesterday who were cheering/mocking Lieberthal for catching Lieber with great skill and tenacity. It was funny the first time the drunk guy yelled it, but after about the 4th I was looking for some ear plugs.

The Rev said...

Just found your blog today. I think I will have to pay attention from now on.

First off, I am a Bobby Abreu fan. I have my issues with Mike Lieberthal as catcher, but I am willing to accept him being there.

Those being said, I completely understand the frustration with them. I understand why fans would get on them.

Do I think booing them in the introductions is right? Not at all. I think everyone deserves a fresh slate, and a cheer at first. But, I don't think the fans boo because they are classless and are in love with their own image. I think there is legitimate and justified frustration there based on years of expectations not being met.

That being said, I think they should save the loud boos for when Lieberthal kills a rally or Abreu looks at a called third strike with runners on base.

I like your blog. I will link it from mine. Feel free to reciprocate if you wish. steveskalish.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Tom, you're absolutely right. I'm glad I wasn't there.

DeWitt said...

Tom, I'm right there with you. In my blog (http://www.phillyville.org)I blame the cretin contingent, aka Eagles fans spoon fed vitriol by the retards at 610.

I'd like to see the Phillies adopt a policy that automatically tosses any idiot that cheers for the Eagles in CBP.